The next college fair organized by NACAC (National Association for College Admission Counseling) will be held on Sunday, October 20th from 1:00-4:00 p.m. at Saint Louis University's Simon Recreation Center! Come meet with over 150 college reps from all over the country! Register here.Before the Fair
Ask yourself the following questions:
• Do I want to attend an extra large, large, medium or small school?
• What major do I wish to study?
• Do I want to attend an urban, suburban or rural school?
• Do I want to attend a two-year, four-year, single-sex or religiously affiliated school?
• Do I want to participate in athletics, clubs, fraternities or sororities or special programs such as study abroad or cooperative education?
Register online for the fair at www.gotocollegefairs.com to receive a barcode for easy onsite access to college representatives. Print the barcode and bring it to the fair as your electronic ID.
Research colleges attending the fair to determine if they meet your search criteria. Make a list of questions to ask college representatives. Try to select questions that are insightful and are not easily answered in the literature.
At the Fair
• Pick up a fair directory and bag for all of the material you collect.
• Visit schools that match or are the closest match to your search criteria.
• Ask the same questions you have developed to each college representative you visit.
• Ask the college representative to scan your barcode. This will allow the representative to follow up with you directly-and quickly.
• Make notes are information you found most interesting/helpful.
• Be adventurous; Don’t just talk to the “well-?known schools.
• Attend an information session that is offered to gather information about the college search process, financial aid or whatever topics are available.
Examples of Questions to Ask Colleges
1. If you have a major in mind, ask if they have it.
2. What types of internships/co-op experiences are available?
3. What are the application deadlines for admission and financial aid?
4. What is the average high school GPA of last year’s freshmen class?
5. What additional academic services do you offer to students?
6. What high school courses are required?
7. What was the average ACT/SAT last year?
8. What is the average class size in my area of interest?
9. How many students graduate in four years in my area of interest?
After the Fair
• Review information (websites, catalogs and viewbooks) to gather more information to help narrow down your choices.
• Send a thank you note/email to the college representative as a way to reinforce your interest in the school.