Types of Leaves of Absence
The District provides leave benefits with/without pay for its professional employees. Ritenour’s Board of Education recognizes that the personal welfare and the professional growth of its employees may require occasional extended absences from duty. Following are types of leaves.
FMLA (Family and Medical Leave) Medical
- Own Serious Health Condition
- Birth of Child
- Placement of Child for Adoption or Foster Care
- Care for an Immediate Family Member (Spouse, Child, Parent)
- Own Serious Health Condition – Individuals not protected under FMLA due to time of employment or exhaustion of FMLA protected leave.
Sabbatical - (Certified staff only)- Leave taken to study toward an advanced degree at a college or university accredited by one of the two national accrediting bodies, the U. S. Department of Education or the Council for Higher Education Accreditation, or a regional accrediting agency recognized by one of the two national bodies. Or, a leave taken for advanced educational studies not leading to an advanced degree.
Leave for Foreign Teaching (Certified staff only)– Leave taken to teach in a foreign country.
Other acceptable reason (Certified staff only) – Includes extended illness not covered under other policies, work in public service or other acceptable reason.
- Spouse, Child, Parent is on active duty and notified of impending call to active duty in support of a contingency operation
- Care for Spouse, Child, Parent or next of Kin who is a covered service member recovering from a serious illness/injury in the line of duty on active military duty