Ritenour Board of Education Regulations
Section I: Instruction Excerpt from IKF-R-1
To be honored as class valedictorian or salutatorian students must satisfy the following criteria.
- Earn 26 credits as follows.
- Earn the required credit during eight consecutive semesters of enrollment at Ritenour High School. Transfer students must attend Ritenour High School for a minimum of four consecutive semesters with the last semester coinciding with the last semester for that year's graduation class. (Credits earned from the Summer Enrichment Academy are counted with the following semester credits.)
- Receive at least one grade point for the letter grade earned in each course in which the student is enrolled during the eight consecutive semesters (Honors Study Hall is permissible.)
- Complete all applicable course work and be granted credit for it at the close of each semester, unless the high school principal grants an exception.
- All credit must be granted through Ritenour High School and be in accord with the school graduation requirements, including dual enrollment credit, which must also be approved by the high school principal.
- The high school principal must verify all calculations and qualifying data prior to the student being officially designated as an honoree.
The following credit does not apply to academic honors recognition:
- Remedial credit earned in summer school
- Courses taken on the pass/fail option
Students can also earn Latin Honors as follows:
- Cum Laude: 3.25 to 3.49 GPA
- Magna Cum Laude: 3.5 to 3.79 GPA
- Summa Cum Laude: 3.8 or higher GPA
Beginning with the class of 2021, Valedictorian and Salutatorian will not be recognized and graduation speeches will be proposed by students in the Summa Cum Laude and Magna Cum Laude Honors and will be selected by the English Department.