The Ritenour Board of Education will include two non-voting student representatives who serve in an advisory capacity to represent the interests of students in the Ritenour School District. The student advisors represent their peers by communicating student opinions to the Board of Education, and reporting Board deliberations and actions to the student body.
Mission & Purpose
As Student Advisors on the Board of Education we hope to hear from students about the ways in which we can best serve them, bridge the gap between the Board of Education and students by both advocating for students and communicating Board decisions, and encourage students to be more engaged and have an active role in the school district.
- Be actively involved in their school community and willing to work to support Ritenour schools on behalf of their peers on a regular basis
- Be willing to represent their peers by communicating student opinions to the Board of Education and reporting Board deliberations and actions to the student body
- Be available to meet with the Board of Education on a monthly basis, to communicate the concerns of their peers, and make an effort to be at every public Board meeting
Who should apply for the 2020-2021 Student Member of the Ritenour Board of Education?
Interested students who will be high school sophomores or juniors in good standing at Ritenour High School. The students who are appointed to the position by the Board of Education will be:
- One junior to serve a term from Jan. 9, 2020 through April 8, 2021
- One sophomore to serve a term from May 14, 2020 through April 7, 2022.
- The two representatives will attend Ritenour Board of Education meetings (work session and business meetings) held during that time. Board work sessions are held the first Thursday of the month, and business meetings are held on the second Thursday of each month at the Ritenour Administrative Center (2420 Woodson Road), unless otherwise noted.
Description of the Position
Eligibility: Any student enrolled at Ritenour High School who is a sophomore or junior in good standing during the 2019-2020 school year. Two students will be selected to serve as advisors to the Board. During the business meeting, one advisor will sit on the dais with the board of education while the other will be seated at the administrators’ table. This responsibility will rotate each month.
Time Requirements: The estimated time required for the Student Advisor will be 5-7 hours per month. This included attending monthly Board meetings (2-3 hours) each and reviewing materials prior to the meeting each month (approx. 1 hour per month). Two students will be selected to serve as advisors to the Board.
Application Procedures: The application asks for contact information and grade level. It also includes one essay question: How are you going to make a difference as the student advisor to the Ritenour Board of Education?
Completed applications must be received no later than 4 p.m. on March 20, 2020. Please submit your application electronically here.
Before completing the application, each prospective student should fully understand the time requirement that serving on the Board as an advisor, be willing to attend as many Board meetings as possible and review all important materials prior to the meeting.
For questions, contact the Ritenour Board of Education Secretary Michelle Clover at (314) 493-6050 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Selection of Candidates: The Ritenour Board of Education will review the applications and select a sophomore candidate at the April 9, 2020, Board of Education meeting. The candidate who is chosen will be notified by email following the April 2020 Ritenour Board of Education meeting. The student will be installed at the May 14, 2020 business meeting.