About Marion Elementary School
The initial Marion Elementary site was purchased in 1888 for $200, with a subsequent purchase of a partial lot in 1918 for $950. More land was added in 1923, giving the district six acres of land. A $70,000 bond issue passed in January 1925 to build Marion. The school opened in 1925.
Marion was named after Marion Wise, an early member of the board of education from 1879 to 1882. It is not clear why the first name of this board member was chosen as a name for the school.Additions and renovations were made to the school in 1953 and 1959. Passage of the 1990 bond issue resulted in demolition of the old building and replacement with the current structure at a cost of $2,625,700. A library renovation made possible by the 2008 Proposition K bond issue was completed in 2012.
Since 1925 Marion Elementary School has had fifteen principals. Clyde Leighton Jr. had the longest tenure with eighteen years of service. Bilal Ewing is the current principal.