A December 1956 bond issue funded the construction of Wyland Elementary School. The school opened in September of 1958. It is named after Edward L. Wyland, who served on the Ritenour Board of Education for 41 years, from 1931 to 1972.
Because it is one of Ritenour’s newest schools, Wyland did not require much modification over the years. In 1990, a bond issue provided the addition of four classrooms, a library and more office space. A second gymnasium, costing approximately $500,000 and funded by a 2005 bond issue, was completed for the beginning of school in 2006.
The school features a distinctive interior mural near the entrance to the building, which was created by students in the mid-1990s.
Wyland has had only five principals, with Barry Weston serving the longest – from 1975 to 1997 (22 years). Dr. Lisa Greenstein is the current principal.