Registration Open for Ritenour’s Youngest Learners at School for Early Childhood Education
The Ritenour School for Early Childhood Education is accepting registrations for full-day and half-day classes for the 2020-2021 school year. Enrollment is for children who are 3, 4 and 5 years old. Children can be enrolled as soon as they turn 3 years old and are potty trained.
The school is located at 3580 Woodson Road in St. John.
Students attend classes in-person five days per week. Strict COVID-19 safety precautions are in place to keep students and staff safe and healthy.
Ritenour's School for Early Childhood Education is nationally accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC). The program is designed to help children grow socially, emotionally, physically and intellectually through developmentally appropriate activities in preparation for kindergarten.
Keeping Students & Staff Safe and Healthy at the Ritenour School for Early Childhood Education
Safety is our number one priority at the Ritenour School for Early Childhood Education. Below are just a few of the health and safety procedures we have put in place to keep our students, staff and families healthy and safe during the 2020-2021 school year.
Daily Health Screenings
- Students will be screened when they arrive at their entrance at school. Any child with a temperature a 100.4 will go directly to the sequestration room.
- Students with an elevated temperature of 100 will be sent home sick until they are fever free for 24 hrs.
- Parents/caregivers must screen each student about symptoms of illness and take their temperature before sending them to school. This will reduce the chance that parents will send their child(ren) to school when they are ill.
- Ensure that a daily screening for symptoms is conducted every morning prior to sending student(s) to school
- Ensure that student(s) who show symptoms in the daily screening are not sent to school
- Ensure that the student gets to school on time and, upon arrival, goes to his/her assigned area
- Ensure that students who are showing symptoms at school are picked up from school within one hour of displaying symptoms
- Ensure that the student understands the need to follow all announced procedures and to obey verbal and written instructions from staff
- All students will be screened, including temperature checks, upon entering the building each day in the morning
Cleaning & Disinfecting
Increased Ritenour custodial staff will clean and disinfect high traffic and high-touch areas in all buildings. This includes:
- Regular disinfection of playground equipment
- Regular disinfection of railings and door knobs
- Each staff member will be provided with a bottle of disinfecting spray
- One additional custodian at each school site will focus on daily cleaning and disinfecting
- Installation of hand sanitizer stations at building entry areas and all potential gathering areas in schools
- Daily inspection and refilling of sanitizer stations
- Installation of plexiglass dividers in school offices
- Sanitization stations provided at the entrance of each school and placed throughout the building
- Removal of all carpets/rugs/soft seating from classrooms
- Staff will social distance in common areas and disinfect shared items like computers, copiers, printers, etc. after and before each use.
Social Distancing & Face Covering Protocols for Students Attending In-Person Classes
Social distancing is an effective preventive measure that research shows will help reduce the spread of COVID-19. Distances of more than six feet may be effective in reducing viral transmission. While children are the least likely to exhibit serious symptoms from COVID-19, social distancing helps prevent the spread to others. We will be social distancing as much as possible at our school. We will teach students to use “airplane arms” or other strategies to model how far to stand for social distancing while in the hallway and other areas. Staff will use alternative ways to greet students as they enter the classroom or school building (wave, bow, wink, foot bump, air hug, spirit fingers, elbow bump, thumbs up). Students will use carpet squares or individual seating during large group time to encourage social distancing.
Face Coverings and Masks
Masks are mandatory for all staff while in school buildings. We strongly encourage masks for all students and will provide alternate protection or plans for students with developmental delays or other issues that may prevent them from wearing a mask all day (this may include the use of a face shield). Students will not wear masks during meals, recess or during nap.
Students will wash hands or use hand sanitizer before eating, after eating, before and after group activities, as well as throughout the day. We will teach students the proper way to wash and disinfect their hands.
For more information, or to enroll for classes, call (314) 493-6240. Office hours are 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 8 a.m.to 4 p.m. on Fridays. More information is also available on the RSECE website.